The term new media does not have an objectively anchored meaning and does not refer to a specific, reliably identifiable technology and set of media, but rather to the always renewable nature of each medium. This novelty is what allows each medium to find its own place in the wide range of mediation tools over and over again. In the current media environment, the principle of predictable summaries (the principle of 1 + 1 = 2) does not work. Dynamic reciprocities, embeddings, application-based vs. web-based parallelism, social media channeling options, the variety of movie-usage depending on platform, communication goal, target audience, device characteristics – these all determine how the participants of the equation change in the very moment of the encounter, becoming alternative forms of themselves. The terms of communicational excess, surplus, added value and the principle of “more is more” all describe the phenomena of media abundance/wealth.
We are expecting submissions related to the questions below:
- If we have access to more channels, if we have more data, do we know more? When is more – more?
- What is the surplus produced by the combined presence of many mediums?
- What is the added value of online communication at the levels of different organizations?
- How do individual communication systems evolve, and what are their specific properties as symbolic forms that other media take over?
- How are different media related to each other (e.g. new media to film, children’s book illustrations to cinema, etc.)?
- How does identity expand in the era of statements like: “everyone is an artist,” “everyone is a content producer”?
- In the age of sharing, of communality, of commune, do we become sensitive to other points of view, or do we rather become immune to them? What is then arising: gain or loss, opening or closing?
The conference will be held in a hybrid form, partially offline (Târgu Mureş – Corunca) and partially online (in the form of presentations streamed live via Google Meet). We expect submissions in Hungarian or English.
Registration and abstract submission: from 21th of February 2021 to 20th of April 2021 on the site of the conference: http://www.ujmedia.ro/application. We will confirm your application by the 27th of April 2021.
Organizer institute of the conference: Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania, Department of Applied Social Sciences
A selection of the papers in English based on the conference presentations will be published in the English-language, peer-reviewed scientific journal Acta Universitatis Sapientiae Communicatio. indexed in several international databases: http://www.acta.sapientia.ro/acta-comm/communicatio-main.htm
Deadline to submit: 30 June 2021.