What are the characteristics, organization principles and cultural features of online communities and relations? How communication in different cultural and social contexts is influenced by new media? How content consumers are becoming content generators?
One of the main research area of communication studies is the determining role of digital media in everyday life with special emphasis on culture-specific aspects. Inequities of new media usage can be discussed considering geographic, demographic, economical perspectives. We consider comparison of new media usage of different groups with a multidisciplinary approach as an inspirational starting point for a critical evaluation of theories and practices of digital communication.
The goal of “IX New Media – Societal diversity, digital literacy” conference is to provide an opportunity for presenting researches and critical evaluations of papers in the domain of cultural and societal aspects of new media practices. Empirical and theoretical contributions are welcome, with any kind of epistemological or methodological approach in the domain of digital media and social transformations.
Former themes of the conference:
- New media and new attitudes of communication (2008)
- New media, convergence, cultural changes (2009)
- New media – spaces (2010)
- New media – where virtual and real meet (2011)
- New mediareality – networks, connections? (2012)
- New media – new knowledge-technologies (2013)
- New media and youth networks (2014)
- The role of digital competences in everyday life (2015)
- New media – mobile age (2016)
- New Media – Home Made Culture In New Media Networks (2017)
Organizer institute of the conference: Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania, Department of Applied Social Sciences
Time and place of the conference: 9-10th of March 2018, Targu Mures – Corunca
Applications online from 21st of January 2018 to 20th of February 2018 on the site of the conference: www.ujmedia.ro/application. We will confirm your application by the 25th of February 2018.